Saturday, July 29, 2006

One Likes it Hot


You may have heard about (or experienced) the unusually hot weather we've been having in California. I have found it very easy to be discontent and complain, at least inside my head, about the weather. We have had air conditioning failures in our home and car. Life was at times uncomfortable. I had to continually remind myself that God is sovereign over the weather, and this current heat wave was part of His perfect plan for my life.

The same pattern can occur in our spiritual lives. We may prefer to be comfortable. God likes it hot; He wants us to be 'on fire' for Him, whole-heartedly devoted to Him.

Deuteronomy 6:5--And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.

2 Chronicles 16:9a--For the eyes of the Lord move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His.

Romans 12:10-11--Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor; not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord

Revelation 3:15-16--I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I would that you were cold or hot. So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth.

God is sovereign over all the circumstances, events, and people in our lives. His desire is not that we might be comfortable, but that we might be comformed to the image of His Son (Romans 8:28,29).

So join me in using hot weather to remember that God is sovereign, and I need to be focused on zealously delighting in Him, not my own comfort. He likes it hot!

1 comment:

the Rehrers said...

Thanks for the reminder that life isn't meant to be comfortable at all times! Now I have a reason to be thankful for Houston heat! It can remind me of this truth (I need reminding most days!) Hope you get a break from the physical heat or at least a chance to escape to the beach for a day!:)
- Kara Rehrer