Thursday, October 12, 2006

Dwelling on the Praiseworthy

In an ongoing look at Set your Mind, Set your Course, we have seen the POWER of the mind. Whatever dominates our thinking is going to dominate our lives, whether we want it to or not.
We have seen the PRIORITY of the mind. We are to set our minds on things above. We are to have an eternal, spiritual perspective on life. We have been looking at the PATTERN for the mind, found in Philippians 4:8. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things. We have looked at these terms one by one.

Our last attribute is praiseworthy, literally on or upon praise. Nothing or no one is more worthy of our praise than God Himself, our amazing Creator and sovereign Lord.
Here we’ve come back full circle to focusing our thoughts on God. I must fix my eyes on Jesus, as I’m instructed in Hebrews 12:2. When my thoughts are dwelling on my precious Savior, my heart is filled with praise, and the things of this world grow strangely dim, as the song says.

When I set my mind on The One who is praiseworthy, I have set a course to please the Lord.

Let me share a couple of my favorite praise passages.
Psalm 103:1-2--Bless the Lord, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless His holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget none of His benefits.
Philippians 3:20-21--Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.

What verses or thoughts stimulate you to praise the Lord?

Our minds are busy, we’re always thinking about something. Let’s purpose to let our minds dwell on things that our pleasing to the Lord, and thus set our course for spiritual prosperity.

1 comment:

Pastor Bruce said...

A woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised (Proberbs 31: 30). I praise God for the gift of a godly wife like you. You open your mouth in wisdom (Proverbs 31: 26) and the Lord blesses us through you.