Monday, May 12, 2008

When it Doesn't Make Sense

It is easy for Christians today, myself included, to evaluate commands from God's Word from some personal perspective. Maybe the command seems too difficult, or it is in direct conflict with the wisdom of the world or our own emotions, or it just doesn't make sense. We have become masters at justifying our own disobedience. Instead we need to obey whether it makes sense or not, whether it is popular in our day or not (usually it's not), whether our emotions are cheering us on, or screaming No!

This isn't an issue unique to our day. Peter faced the same concern. We find one such occurence in Luke 5:1-11. Verses 4-5: And when He had finished speaking, He said to Simon, "Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch." And Simon answered and said, "Master, we worked hard all night and caught nothing, but at Your bidding I will let down the nets." It's easy to imagine Peter's thoughts. "I'm the professional fisherman here, your request doesn't make any sense at all." Yet, out of his respect and love for Jesus, he obeys.

You probably remember what happens next. Verses 6-7: And when they had done this, they enclosed a great quantity of fish; and their nets began to break; and they signaled to their partners in the other boat, for them to come and help them. And they came, and filled both of the boats, so that they began to sink. Jesus was in control. He knew the fishing situation far better than the fishing experts.

The same is true today. God is sovereign. God's wisdom is far above our own. Isaiah 55:6-7: "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways", declares the Lord. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts." Romans 11:33: Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways!

We don't need to understand; We need to obey. Peter understood the crux of the matter. In verse 8 he says, "Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord!" We are the sinners; Christ is the Savior. We are the sheep; He is the Good Shepherd. We are the clay, He is the potter. We are the slaves; He is the Master. We need to obey Him, no matter what.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Thanks,Roberta! There is MUCH about an infinite God that my finite mind cannot understand. And inasmuch as I remember this, maintaining a high and exalted view of Him, I realize that my obedience to His commands is so much easier. He's loving, He's sovereign, He's omniscient, He's faithful, He's transcendent, He's holy and on it can go. And I would want to trust and lean on MY wisdom? Now THAT doesn't make sense!!! May we be as David, "I hastened and did not delay to keep Thy commandments." (Psalm 119:60)