Saturday, June 18, 2005

Joining the World of Blog

I am the last in my family to join the blog world (I've even read somewhere of my dog having his own blog!). So far I have resisted the urgings of family members since we are in the middle of a move and things are rather hectic, but was encouraged by a posting at godsongmusic.com to go ahead and jump in. So here we go...

Once my decision had been made to start my own blog, my next decision was what name to choose. In Proverbs 31 God gives us a description of an excellent wife. Some have derided this picture as unattainable, overwhelming, or even old-fashioned, but God's Word presents it as a godly model which women throughout the ages can pursue in their own lives. Verse 25 contains one of my favorite phrases--she smiles at the future. She doesn't live in fear or dread of the future, she isn't consumed with anxiety about her children or grandchildren, she isn't overwhelmed by world events or national calamaties, she isn't disheartened by the difficulties of life. She smiles at the future. How can she do this? How can I do this? How can you do this? Doesn't she know about terrorism? increasing immorality in entertainment? crime rates? traffic? violence in schools? global warming? She's obviously not a 21st century woman!

Verse 30 holds the key to her smiling at the future. She fears the Lord. She regards Him with reverence and awe. He is the focus of her life. She has confidence in the future. The 21st century woman can be smiling at the future when her hope and confidence is in the Lord. The future is in His hands--her personal future, the future of her loved ones, and the future of the world. What a joy to know that God is in the control, and He is working for my good and His glory! When I am looking at life through the lens of God's Word, rather than letting my cirucmstances distort my view of God, I can be smiling at the future. And so can you!

2 comments:

Howard said...

Amen!!

Anonymous said...

Mom!

I'm so excited that you started a blog! And I love the name you chose! We will definitely be smiling at the future when we believe that we are going to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living (Psalm 27:13-14). I really liked the line, "Doesn't she know about terrorism?" Despite our modern fears, we still have an eternal God that is the One who is worthy of our fear! Thanks for the encouragement!