Monday, June 27, 2005

The Sustainer of My Soul

Saturday I read a verse that I have been thinking about ever since. Psalm 54:4 says, "Behold, God is my helper; The Lord is the sustainer of my soul." What an amazing truth! God, the creator and ruler of the universe, is my helper. He, and he alone, sustains my innermost being. He offers complete satisfaction and contentment. So why do I look for sustencance elsewhere--in pleasant circumstances, people, religion, the pleasures of this life? Sometimes I am so foolish.
I need to look to the Lord and the Lord alone to sustain my soul.

Today I read another verse that offers further insight into how God sustains my soul. Psalm 55:22 says, "Cast your burden upon the Lord, and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken." No matter how great my difficulties and disappointments, I can be sustained by the Lord. But, I need to cast my burden upon the Lord in order to experience His sustaining strength. I cannot replay them over and over in my mind; I cannot try to handle them all on my own; I cannot gripe and complain about them; I cannot stew and fret over them; I cannot just wish or imagine things were differnet. At times I have done all of these things. I must cast my burdens upon the Lord. It is only then that He promises to sustain me, that I need not be shaken.

1 comment:

Pastor Bruce said...

It is amazing that the Lord cares for and loves and sustains us! Great insight on the importance of casting our burdens upon the Lord. So often we do all those things that you mentioned and a whole lot more. Thanks for the encouragement.

I love your blog. Keep sharing with us the practical insights you are gaining from God's word.