Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Overcoming Fear

I have been reading Nehemiah this month, and the other night one verse really stood out to me. Nehemiah had returned to Jerusalem to encourage the Jews there to rebuild the wall surrounding the city. The people respond eagerly, and work on the wall begins. However, the work receives opposition. Enemies threaten to attack. The people become fearful. Nehemiah encourages them in chapter 4, verse 14. "When I saw their fear, I rose and spoke to the nobles, the officials, and the rest of the people; 'Do not be afraid of them; remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your houses.'" As I meditated on this passage, I saw how practical Nehemiah's counsel is for anytime we are dealing with fear--we must remember God, and we must take action.

So many times our fear is compounded because we don't remember God, that He is great and awesome. He is sovereign over the very situation which brings us fear. He has brought it about for our good and His glory. When we remember Him, and all that He is, and all that He has promised us, we need not fear. The Psalms reflect this truth in a number of passages. Psalm 16:8 says, "I have set the Lord continually before me; Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." When David is focused on the Lord, setting the Lord rather than his own concerns and anxieties continually before him, remembering that the Lord is with him, he is not shaken. David reflects a similar thought in Psalm 56:3-4, "When I am afraid, I will put my trust in Thee. In God, whose word I praise, in God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid. What can mere man do to me?" Again the psalmist remembers God when he is afraid. He remembers the word of the Lord, and trusts in Him. He reminds himself that God is great and awesome. He realizes that God is big and man is small. (So often we get those backwards!) And his fear fades away.

But there is more to Nehemiah's counsel. He also exhorts the people to take action. They must be prepared to fight. They must do what God has called them to do. He goes on to say, "...then all of us returned to the wall, each one to his work. And it came about from that day on, that half of my servants carried on the work while half of them held the spears, the shields, the bows, and the breastplates...those who were rebuilding the wall and those who carried burdens took their load with one hand doing the work and the other holding a weapon." Too many times this is where we drop the ball. Our fear may become crippling. We may try to deal with our fears on a spiritual level, but we don't take action. If I am a student anxious about an upcoming test, I need to remember the Lord, and diligently study. If I am a mother with a seriously ill child, I need to remember the Lord, and continue with my responsibilities. If I am getting ready for a big move, (no if for me), I need to remember the Lord and keep packing.

So the next time you are tempted to fear, to be anxious, to worry, remember Nehemiah's counsel. Remember the Lord. Focus on Him. Think specifically about His attributes, His character, and comfort your soul. But you must also take action. What does God want you to do in this situation? Are there regular responsibilities you are neglecting because of your fear? Be obedient to Him even if you don't feel like it, and you can find contentment, knowing you are making it your ambition to please Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mom,

Thanks for the great blog entry about remembering God and taking action. That's a great verse from Nehemiah 4:14 and you really made it easy to understand. At least you don't have to carry a spear around the house while you're packing boxes! I'm praying for you and looking forward to having you here in California real soon!