Saturday, August 06, 2005

The Unchanging One

We are in the process of moving. At the moment our house is filled with boxes, and more are yet to come. Moving involves saying goodbye-to our home, to our city, to friends and fellow believers who are very dear to us. Moving involves saying hello-to a new home, new neighborhood, new church, new everything. Moving is nothing but change.

In this move, many of the changes will be drastic. We are moving from Texas--home of cowboys and rednecks, conservative values, and a low cost of living. We are moving to California--home of surfers and the cool life, liberals, and an exorbitant cost of living. We are moving from a church of about 300, where I know almost everybody, to a church of about 8,000, where I know almost nobody. My husband will have a new job with new responsibilities and a new commute. I will be going from a calendar full of commitments and ministries to a transitional phase of no responsibilties (besides unpacking all of the numerous boxes we are now packing!). In addition to the changes from moving, our youngest child will be off to college and we will enter the 'empty nest' phase of life. We are soon to become grandparents. Change is everywhere.

What an encouragment to know there is One who never changes. My circumstances may change drastically, but God remains the same. Listen to what the following verses say about our unchanging God:

Malachi 3:6--For I, the Lord, do not change

Numbers 23:19--God is not a man, that He should lie, nor a son of man, that He should repent; Has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?

James 1:17--Every good thing bestowed and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow.

Hebrews 13:8--Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today, yes and forever.

Psychologists would tell us that a time of change is a time of stress. On a human level, all of the factors I mentioned earlier would give me a high score on a stress evaluation. What a comfort to know that I can take refuge in the Lord, my Rock, the Unchanging One.

Psalm 18:2--The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Psalm 62:6--He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be shaken.

Isaiah 26:4--Trust in the Lord forever, for in God the Lord, we have an everlasting Rock.

Psalm 46:1-3--God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change, and though the mountains slip into the heart of the
sea; though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains quake at its swelling pride.

My life may seem one of total change at the moment, but it certainly doesn't compare with the mountains slipping into the sea. I need not fear, I need not be shaken. I can trust in the Lord, my everlasting Rock, and will find Him to be an unchanging refuge and strength.

No comments: