Saturday, November 19, 2005

Bountiful

At this time of year, it is easy to turn our thoughts toward Thanksgiving. For most people, however, thoughts revolve around the holiday--a day off from work, a great meal, time with family, football games--rather than the giving of thanks. For believers, our entire lives should be dominated by the giving of thanks, not just the fourth Thursday in November!

However, this is not the reality for many believers. I know that is true for me. I am not thankful 100% of the time. When I'm not, I need to remind myself of all that God has done for me. The psalmist does this in Psalm 116:7--Return to your rest, O my soul, for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you.

When I forget how bountiful the Lord has been to me, I am easily discouraged or disheartened. I can become fretful and anxious. It is then that I need to talk to my soul, and not let it just talk to me. I need to remind myself of how bountiful the Lord is. As Psalm 103:2 says, Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget none of His benefits. As I do this my soul is uplifted and I can be at rest, content in the Lord.

When my focus is on the Lord, and how bountiful He is to me, my attention shifts from me--my desires, my circumstances, my concerns--to the Lord, and I seek to honor and glorify Him. I am in awe of His great bounty, despite my unworthiness, and all I can do is respond as in Psalm 116:12--What shall I render to the Lord for all His benefits toward me? The Lord's bounty is so great I can never even begin to repay it, but my desire is to worship Him, serve Him, and give Him thanks.

No comments: