Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Just Like Me

It is easy to read the Bible, particularly the Old Testament, and shake your head at the sin of the people. God continues to show faithful lovingkindness and compassion to the people, and they continue to reject Him. How could they? How stupid are these people?

If I'm honest, I must admist that they are really just like me. This week I was reading Psalm 106, which recaps the history of Israel. As I looked at the mistakes they made, I was humbled to realize how easily I can do the same thing.

Verse 7 says, they did not remember Thine abundant kindnesses. It is easy to get caught up in our problems and the activities of every day life, and not be remembering God's abundant lovingkindnesses. If that was the focus of my thinking, I would be continually thankful and joyful. So whenever I get discouraged, distracted, or disappointed, at that moment I am probably not remembering God's abundant kindnesses to me.

Verse 13 says, They quickly forgot His works; they did not wait for His counsel. Again they display forgetfulness, as do I. But also they did not wait on the Lord, as we are commanded to do many times, like in Psalm 27:14. I can so easily go my own way, and not even think about the counsel of the Lord. Or I get impatient and try to make things happen the way I want them to, or the way I think God would want them to, rather than waiting on Him.

In verse 21 they forgot God their Savior. If I am continually focused on the salvation I have in Christ, that will totally change my outlook on my situation, my relationships, my difficulties, everything. Like the song says, when I turn my eyes on Jesus the things of this world grow strangely dim.

Verse 24 says, they despised the pleasant land. I too can fail to value what God values. I can despise His will for my life, and think I have a better plan. I would never state it that boldly, but at particular moments of time that's really the logical outcome of my thinking. Whenever I think, I would be happy if... or life would be so much better if...I am despising the 'pleasant land' where my sovereign God has lovingly and wisely placed me.

But praise the Lord! He continues to show compassion and lovingkindness to His people, including me! Psalm 106:48: Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel, from everlasting even to everlasting. And let all the people say, "Amen." Praise the Lord!

1 comment:

Bill Blakey said...

Wow! Two new posts! Amazing. Thanks for entries. I feel the same way about the way I read the OT sometimes. Keep up the encouragements!