Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Exalting God and His Word

Over the last few days I have spent time in probably my favorite chapter in the Bible, Psalm 119. I have gone over it time after time over the last several years, and always feel I just get a taste of the treasure it contains. It always encourages me to value the Word of God. It feeds my desire to have a heart totally devoted to God, like the psalmist expresses so often.

In this psalm, exalting God and His Word are continually linked. Verse 38 says, Establish Thy word to Thy servant, as that which produces reverence for Thee. We turn to God's Word not just to learn facts, grow in knowledge, or understand principles for living, but so we can more deeply know and revere God. This idea removes any idea of duty from time in the Word, and makes it pure joy. The God of the Universe has revealed Himself to us, and desires that we know Him. How awesome is that!

What blessings are ours as we treasure God's Word:
v.11 Thy word I have treasured in my heart, That I may not sin against Thee.
v.50 This is my comfort in my affliction, That Thy word has revived me.
v.98-99 Thy commandments make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever mine. I have more insight than all my teachers, for Thy testimonies are my meditation.
v. 105 Thy word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path.
v.130 The unfolding of Thy words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.
v.165 Those who love Thy law have geat peace, and nothing causes them to stumble.

So, if you've never done so, (or even if you have!) I'd encourage you to spend some time in Psalm 119. Wade in to a river of riches and let your heart be revived.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christa Blakey said...

Mom-
What a stirring entry about Psalm 119...I think I'm even going to start reading it now! I really like how you said, "We turn to God's Word not just to learn facts, grow in knowledge, or understand principles for living, but so we can more deeply know and revere God." This is a good reminder for me not to treat time studying God's Word as a duty, like reading a textbook. But to instead, take hold of the joy that it is to have such a great opportunity to know the God of the Universe in what He has revealed. Thank you for sharing this, I was very encouraged:).
-Christa