Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Grace Upon Grace


I love the beach. I am not a sun-bather. I do not surf, sail, or scuba dive. I do love to watch the waves and reflect upon how awesome God is. Psalm 19:1 says, The heavens are telling of the glory of God; and their expanse is declaring the work of His hands. Just as the heavens declare God's glory, so do the seas. His tremendous power is evident, as is His beauty. Looking at the variety of sea life gives us a glimpse into God's awesome creativity and wisdom. Watching the waves break over and over and over again reminds me of John 1:16, For of His fulness we have all received, and grace upon grace. God's grace is like that in our lives, steady and continual; we experiece His goodness over and over again.

Last week Bruce and I had the opportunity to go to Monterey, along the coast in Northern California. (Thank you, Believers Fellowship) We enjoyed beautiful scenery, like in this picture. In this midst of all this overwhelming abundance of God's majesty and grace, I had a major struggle with my own selfishness. Instead of standing amazed at who God is, I was focused on myself, and what I wanted, my plans and my desires. But God is faithful, He showed me my sin, and again provided forgiveness (1 John 1:9). Where sin increased, grace abounded all the more (Romans 5:20). I am so thankful for God's grace--grace greater than all my sins, grace that sustains me through the struggles of life, great and small.

Shortly after we got back home, we went to a chapel at The Master's College, which was somewhat of a memorial service for Bethany Rehrer. Her brother Matthew spoke, as did her boyfriend Bjorn, and a long-time friend Megan. Their lives and their response to this tragedy was another overwhelming evidence of God's grace. Their testimony has been an example to me and to many, and God has used these events for His glory and the good of many.

So the next time you go to the beach, or see a beautiful sunset, or a starry night, or examine a flower or butterfly, or have a chance to witness the awesomeness of God's creation in any aspect, reflect upon His abundant grace. Take the focus off of yourself and place it upon the Lord, and you too will be encouraged and strengthened.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mom, I'm glad that your vacation left you thinking about grace rather than yourself. Sometimes when God gives us something it is easy to become self-indulgent rather than giving Him thanks and praise. It is good to know that His grace is greater than all of our sin! Thanks for the encouraging blog entry!