Friday, September 23, 2005

Father Knows Bests

Sometmes I get very confused. I actually think and act like there is something better than following the Lord's commands--my way. This week I was again reminded on several fronts that my heavenly father truly knows best, and wants only the best for me.

During the Heart of the Home class this week, John MacArthur spoke from Ephesians 5:18-21, pointing out the key to harmony in the home(or in any relationship) is living a spirit-filled life, following the will of the Lord. To do this we must practice selflessness. It was a good reminder that my relationships are not all about me. When that is my focus, it only breeds discontent and disharmony. But when I focus on pleasing the Lord, and let His Word richly dwell within me, then I experience joy, thankfulness, and a desire to serve others.

The next day I read Psalm 81, which expresses God's desire to fulfill His people, and Israel's continued disobedience and disinterest. God offers so much:
v. 10 Open your mouth wide and I will fill it.
v. 13 Oh that My people would listen to Me, that Israel would walk in My ways!
v. 13 I would quickly subdue their enemies, and turn My hand against their adversaries.
v.16 But I would feed you with the finest of the wheat; and with honey from the rock I would satisfy you.
Yet the people did not listen and did not obey, but acted stubbornly to walk in their own devices (v. 111-12). I wonder how many times I forfeit God's richest blessings because I am pursuing my own way instead of following Him.

Later I read Nehemiah 9, a song of praise which reviews Israel's history, with Israel repeatedly rebelling against God, and God repeatedly showing Himself to be faithful and compassionate. In verse 13 it says, "Thou didst give to them just ordinances and true laws, good statutes and commandments." How important it is to remind myself that God's ordinances are just, His laws are true, His statutes and commandments are good. Nothing is better for me than obeying God, and when I think anything less I am being extremely foolish. Truly, my heavenly Father Knows Best!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent and well-written revelation...just what I needed today...thanks!