Friday, September 09, 2005

Remember What?

When I was young, I prided myself on my excellent memory. That certainly helped me to shine in the classroom all throughout my school days. Now, however, it is a different story. I remember less and less and forget more and more.

I have been studying the book of Nehemiah, and was challenged by Nehemiah's exhortation to remember the Lord in 4:14 (see post of 8/10), so I thought I'd go through the rest of the book and focus on what else it said about remembering. I was surprised with what I found. Although remember is used 9 times in the book of Nehemiah, there were no other exhortations to remember. There was one similar reference, looking at the opposite perspective, what happens when we don't remember. Chapter 9 includes a song of praise to the Lord that recounts the history of Israel. In verse 17, it says the people did not remember Thy wondrous deeds which Thou hadst performed among them. Because they did not remember the Lord who is great and awesome, they became stubborn and sought to go their own way instead of follow the Lord. When I don't remember God I do the same thing.

The other 7 references were what surprised me--they were all asking God to remember. Four references asked God to remember me for good, (5:19;13:14,22,31). Two requested that God remember for judgment those who had been enemies of God's work, or disobedient to His commands (6:14, 13:29). The most surprising of all was in 1:8, where Nehemiah asked God to remember His own word. Unlike me, who needs constant reminders (what would I do without post-its?), God is perfect. He knows everything, forgets nothing. His wisdom and knowledge are a depth of riches, His judgements unsearchable, His ways unfathomable (Romans 11:33). Why does Nehemiah ask Him to remember? Should I do the same?

I don't think Nehemiah questions whether God will remember these things. He knows God will keep His word. He knows God will reward the righteous and judge the wicked. In his study notes on 1:8, John MacArthur says it's not a reminder to God as if He had forgotten, but a plea to activate His Word. I have been challenged lately on a number of fronts to pray that God will be God in various ways, that His Word will prove true. It's not that I doubt any of it. In fact, for me I often don't pray about things like this because I know God will be God and keep His word. But when I do pray, it expresses my trust in God, my confidence in Him, and my dependence on Him. It pleases God when I express my faith in prayer. It helps align my heart with His.

We get a small glimpse of this in human relationships, although any illustration characterizing God comes woefully short. Think about a husband and wife relationship. I know my husband knows I love him. I have confidence in his leadership. I am thankful for his faithfulness to me. But when I express that to him, he is encouraged and it helps me to focus on his positive attributes and be thankful for him. On an infinitely grander scale, when I ask God to remember, I am demonstrating my love for Him, my confidence in Him, and my desire for His will to be accomplished. When I ask God to be God it helps me to focus on who He is, and to remember Him.

I am thankful that God does keep His word, that He always acts consistent with His character. My memory is fading, but His is eternal. I have been challenged to express that to Him in prayer, and I hope you have too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom, Thanks for this great blog entry! Your point that we need to pray for God to do what He has said is so true. That's what Jesus said we should do "Hallowed be Your name, Your will be done, Your kingdom come..." Thanks for encouraging us to pray for God to act with confidence because we know He will!

Pastor Bruce said...

I was going to leave a comment but I forgot what it was. Oh well, I'm glad the Lord remembers me and He keeps all His promises, therefore I can just open His Word and ask Him to remember what He has said.